2006-05-23

There's more in nature than at the mall

We went to Dalarö in the archipelago for a birthday party. We slept outside in a pocket of blankets and sleeping bags under a pine tree. The tree was a short round one, so it made a cozy shelter. Bits of bark fell softly from it every now and then. They landed on us and around us, reddish brown. I woke up every time a bird flew over. They were flying pretty low, it seemed like they had some kind of route low over us, under the trees, then swooping up to the right or left. If I kept my eyes closed I could only hear the movement of their wings.

It got dark late and light early.

In the morning, we stayed there quite a long time, looking around us and taking a few more naps. I watched ants in the grass busily working. A bug came and landed on the blanket. It had wings like a bee, but was smaller and paler, "an albino mini-bee." It moved to a blade of grass and stayed there for a long time. I said it was listening to us, studying us and writing things down. "I know what you're up to, " I told it. "I can see you're taking notes." It stayed there for such a long time, sitting perfectly still. I kept checking that it was still there, and it always was.

I also found a blade of grass with a cartoon-like loop in it. It was growing upward, but then looped around and back up again. Why?

No comments: