2006-07-14

Tapioca

It's becoming sparser and simpler around here. Cluttered shelves are becoming bare, surfaces are becoming white and blank, full of potential and possibilities again.
It's starting to feel like we live at a hotel. The funny thing is that I didn't really need all of that stuff. I still know who I am, and am who I am, without it.

How satisfying to use things up in the kitchen! To have empty cupboards and an increasingly empty fridge! I had underestimated the power of starting over.

But I sort of have to take all that back. There are still boxes and junk everywhere. Certain areas are prematurely causing a sparse hotel feeling. Or perhaps I am slightly delirious.

I made some pudding. From a mix we brought from Nova Scotia and never used up. Coconut pudding. It was odd to make pudding, since I never do. It reminded me of how mom sometimes made tapioca or custard pudding, when we least expected it, for dessert. We weren't much of a dessert household, mostly just on weekends or special occasions. But when mom made pudding it was always on a weekday. It strikes me now as sort of delightfully out of character of her. Carrot cake would have been much more predictable. But no, there were the random, joyous pudding nights.

No comments: